Now, dear reader, I can hear you looking at the above photo and thinking, “That fabric wasn’t in the sewing plans. One frock and she’s gone off the wagon!” And you wouldn’t be wrong. But!
It came about because, as planned, I made a sleep bra from the EYMM everyday essentials pattern and then wondered how to wear it in the mornings. My favourite silk dressing gown (bought in a Melbourne alleyway store for my wedding) doesn’t cross over far enough any more and it’s always been rather shorter than is modest when one goes outside to collect the newspaper (yes, I must be just about the last Millenial to get the paper delivered…). As I was musing on all this, the latest issue of Seamwork came out with the Almada kimono as one of its patterns.
I really like the way the ties fold the front in when the kimono is done up, and the big sleeves. I also like that the pattern has the option for adding a snap at the front to keep the gown closed at the bust (although I lost my chalk mark for where to place said snap and think I may have attached it higher up the neckline than designed).
The maroon fabric is a silk-cotton blend (from memory) that I bought approximately a million years ago when I first discovered The Fabric Store. It’s lightweight but perhaps a bit more crisp and less drapey than the pattern calls for. However, it feels lovely to wear. The trim is another silk-cotton blend from the same shopping trip, which actually has more drape than the main fabric but is interfaced here.
I couldn’t be bothered making bias binding so I’ve used a pale red and white striped pre-made cotton bias tape to finish the front edge (I wanted aqua but couldn’t find any so this was the closest match in the shop). It and the hem are top-stitched with an aqua thread that matches the cuffs and ties. Inside, the finishes are all French seams, even where the cuffs are attached. I couldn’t tell you if this took two hours to make, as Seamwork promises, because I sewed it in a whole lot of short sessions but it certainly was a pretty quick sew. This is an unaltered XL (based vaguely on bust measurement) but I cut the hem at the 3XL length to make extra sure it offers paper-collecting modesty.
The shape and position of the sleeves and cuffs has taken a bit of getting used to when wearing the kimono because it’s not a shape I’m familiar with and occasionally movement feels a little restricted across the front shoulder — bizarre, I know, in a garment with so much ease. I’ve worn this basically every morning since making it, so that’s a big hit.
The sleeping bra that started all of this is also a big hit. It’s made from eucalyptus-coloured jersey (probably cotton) with excellent two-way stretch. I sewed the whole thing on the overlocker (bar the gathering stitches, but they’re basically just basting) in one relatively quick late-night session. It’s really comfortable to wear and perfect for breastfeeding. In fact, I liked it so much I’ve made two dresses from the pattern as well!