Every trip to Spotlight over the past four or five months, I’ve spied this fabric and wanted to get some but, in an effort to stick to my pledge not to buy material without a plan, left it behind with no idea what to make. Then I spied this outfit over on the Closet Case Files round up of ways to style a body suit and was inspired. Especially since I was already in love with the Gabriola maxi skirt.
I originally intended to sew this up along with a Belcarra blouse to enter the Monthly Stitch’s indie pattern fan girl competition. Not that I’ve made a Belcarra before but it looks a similar shape to some tops I already have and I hoped it might be the answer the the still-unresolved beautiful black silk shirt question. However, life and work intervened and only the skirt got made (seen here with a RTW knit tee).
Sewing this up was pretty easy after I’d worked all the tricky bits out last time. The front even sits properly at the point, no weird pleats needed. The fabric is a cotton pique (kind of a heavy waffley weave, almost like a linen) and probably not quite as drapey as the pattern really requires. But it’s still nice to wear. I cut the same size as before but shortened the hem when cutting the pieces (I cut the hem at the size 0 length) instead of hacking off heaps at the end. And same as last time, I sewed an invisible zipper all the way up through the waistband.
This time round I thought I’d be clever and add pockets. I put on the first version of the skirt and worked out roughly where pockets should go relevant to all the diagonal yoke pieces. Or so I thought.
Somehow this calculation went terribly, terribly wrong and the pockets sit well below my hips and thus are not particularly useful. And of course I overlocked all the seams before discovering this so they’re impossible to move. Still wondering if I might be better off cutting them out completely and sewing up the gaps in the side seams. Nevertheless, I think the pocket concept was sound and if I make another Gabriola I’ll give them another red hot go.